The Municipal Band of Valencia (Banda Municipal) has finalized its list of concerts for 2009, which take place in or around the Palau de la Música, and all of which you can attend for free.
The band, currently under the direction of Pablo Sánchez Torrella, has made up an important part of Valencia’s musical scene since 1903, the year of its founding. The band puts on up to 90 performances a year in and around Valencia.
As mentioned, the concerts in the Palau are for free — just show up about an hour early to collect an invitation. Here’s the schedule for 2009:
· Sunday, February 8th at 11:30am
· Sunday, March 8th at 11:30am
· Sunday, April 5th at 11:30am
· Sunday, May 24th at 11:30am
· Wednesday, October 7th at 20:15 — This is a special concert, celebrating the Day of the Valencian Community, and probably isn’t free… I’m not sure
· Sunday, October 25th at 11:30am
· Sunday, November 15th at 11:30am
· Sunday, November 29th at 11:30am
· Sunday, December 20th at 11:30am
Additionally, there are 4 outdoor concerts in the gardens of the Palau, every Thursday in June at 20:15 — I’m assuming these are also free.
If you’d like to get a quick taste of the band, here’s the only YouTube video I was able to unearth. Enjoy: